Growing Pains And Everything In Between

Wednesday, January 1, 2014


2013...ohhhh where do I begin? Let me start out by saying: 2013 was one for the books. I'm fairly certain I used the exact same phrase in last year's New Year's post, but um, I'm pretty sure they would be filed in very different record books. Like 2012 would be in Guinness' World Records, and 2013 would get recorded in some strange, alternative book that no one wants to read.

You know, I've thought long and hard about this post (just kidding, I'm writing it on the fly), and the best way to describe 2013 was that it was kind of—please excuse my French—the little asshole of years. But as completely overly dramatic as I'm being, I'm also so grateful this year happened. I needed this year to happen; I needed the growing pains. Looking back, I can honestly say I've learned more about myself in these twelve (or really even six) months than I have in the past four years. Self-awareness was a big thing for me this year. As was growth.

I feel like a different person now than when the year started, but not in any drastic way. I just feel healthier and more in control of my well-being. The book I'm currently reading talks a lot about growth as a means of happiness. And while the growing pains themselves weren't pleasant, I think I've finally reached a plateau of contentment, as well as excitement for the coming year. For the first time in my life, I'm running regularly (shocking, I know), eating healthier (of course there's always the occasional chocolate croissant/wine binge), and even meditating. I hope to keep up these habits in the coming year and add on new ones like reading and writing more, even as I'm working full-time.

Anyway, the number 13 is usually associated with superstition (or just awkward-pubescent-junior-high-teenhood), so REALLY 2013 was doomed from the beginning. So, by that logic, if 13 was the year of bad luck/difficult changes....I'm hoping 14 can be the fun and carefree "freshman" year of my postgrad life. I'll be adorably innocent, and maybe even some hunky senior on the football team will want to date me.

Happy 2014! Let's make this a good one :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclosure.

The Caffeinated Closet contains some affiliate marketing links that may result in a small commission for my site if items are purchased through them. Any items I receive free of charge from a company I mark as "courtesy of" (c/o) on my outfit details. I only endorse brands that fit my personal preferences and style, and my blog content is never influenced by advertisers.

Thanks for stopping by!
 

© The Caffeinated Closet All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk Powered by Blogger