Cookbook: Skinny Chocolate Chip Buttermilk Scones

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

After living in Ireland for four months, I became rather fond of scones. Seriously...people in Ireland LOVE their scones and they quickly became part of my daily diet (hello double chin) while I was there. When I came back home, I found myself still craving scones but couldn't find a place where they made them like in Ireland. So, to combat my cravings, I began pinning a bunch of different scone recipes with the plan to eventually bake them all. Well, last night, in an attempt to avoid studying, I had the sudden urge to bake and decided to use this recipe that I had pinned on my food board quite a while ago. While they weren't exactly like the ones back in Cork (I still don't know how they did it...) I would defintely say they came in a close second!

Chocolate Chip Buttermilk Scones
(adapted from Skinnytaste.com)

Ingredients:
3/4 cup cold buttermilk
1/4 cup brown
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup white whole wheat flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3 tbsp chilled butter (must be cold) cut into small pieces
3/4 cup chocolate chips
cooking spray
1 large egg white, lightly beaten
1 tbsp brown sugar for sprinkling


Directions:
Preheat oven to 375° and spray baking sheet with cooking spray

Combine the first four ingredients in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk

Slowly mix in the flour, baking powder, and salt

Chop up the butter into very small pieces, and blend into the mixture
(this is tricky...the original recipe said to use a pastry blender, but I just stirred it really well)

Once the mixture is moist, gently fold in the chocolate chips

In the bowl, lightly knead the mixture four times with floured hands

Transfer the dough onto your greased cookie sheet and form the dough into a 9-inch circle onto baking sheet, about 3/4" thick

Using a knife, cut dough into 12 wedges all the way through
(I had trouble with this, but do your best even though the dough will be sticky!)

Brush egg white over dough and sprinkle evenly with sugar. Bake until golden, about 18-20 minutes, depending on your oven.

Enjoy! These scones taste best when they are warm...and WARNING: they. are. addictive.

1 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclosure.

The Caffeinated Closet contains some affiliate marketing links that may result in a small commission for my site if items are purchased through them. Any items I receive free of charge from a company I mark as "courtesy of" (c/o) on my outfit details. I only endorse brands that fit my personal preferences and style, and my blog content is never influenced by advertisers.

Thanks for stopping by!
 

© The Caffeinated Closet All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk Powered by Blogger